Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Like Roseanne Roseannadanna Would Say...

"It's always something!"

When you have a big family, I guess it should be expected that there will always be a challenge happening somewhere. But it does seem like some people are getting picked on more than others.

This afternoon I got a call from Alisha. Anthony was taking her and Adelaina to the hospital because they'd just been in an accident. A man had run a red light and t-boned her car... at the exact same intersection that Nikki had been t-boned by a guy who had also run a red light.

Alisha made the same mistake of having her husband take her to the hospital instead of the ambulance... which had taken 45 minutes to get there. The paramedics had not encouraged them to use the ambulance but to have Anthony take them to the hospital, instead. She was still clearly stunned when she talked to me. She had been dialing and redialing my phone until I realized I was getting a call. She sounded as though she were on auto-pilot; but while talking with me, the adrenaline started to wear off and I could hear her voice grow more tense and the numbness of the shock start to wear off. She started to feel the pain from the accident.

When Alex talked with her later he was very upset. The airbags had deployed, there was a 6 week old infant in the car, they should have been taken to the hospital by ambulance - and it should NOT have taken so long, given there was a fire station just a few blocks down.

I called home after to see if the lampada was still lit. Of course it wasn't. Lately, every time someone in the family gets hit (literally and figuratively), the lampada has been out. It's not a matter of being superstitious, but simply aware of the need to be vigilant... and as the Saint encourages us to, "pray always" and "without ceasing."

We thank God it is only the loss of the car (the second car in 6 weeks), and look for His mercies & help that He sends.

No comments: