Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Off to Work with 'Em

Today is a rather unusual day for us. It started last month with the girls asking about getting jobs. Now they've talked about this at various times, but they were serious now. So, I laid out the requirements, based on my lessons learned from my previous 5 children: No jobs that I have to drive them to. No jobs that may remotely include Sundays (like, "oh gee, so-and-so didn't turn up for work today, we need you to come in"). Only jobs working with wholesome people, preferably in the church.

This last one got me "that" stare. The you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me stare. To which I replied, "I mean it," and then with the admonition to, "pray about it, you may be surprised what comes up."

If they're not surprised, I have to say that I am, just a little. Today everyone was up early, the coffee pot emptied (whew! I got the last cup!), and everyone is waiting for their work ride. Bianca left first. She's watching two little girls while their mom works in her parents' bakery. This is a coveted job, not only because the girls are cute, but also because for lunch they get to choose anything from the bakery. Apparently, they've got the world's best sandwiches.

Christina also has a child care job today, working for a homeschooling family. The mom and dad are taking a rare day for themselves.

Veronica started working 2 weeks ago for a housecleaning business owned by some folks we go to church with. Today is a very heavy work day, so Rachel is going to work too. Veronica works 2-3 days a week, and the only real requirement is that she keeps up with her school work.

Ah... and you may be wondering, who is Rachel? She is the daughter of a good friend of mine who now lives out East. Rachel came back to Alaska (where her dad still works) to go to Job Corps. It's been a lot of paperwork and waiting, but eventually she should be getting in. Her godmother works there, so there will be someone keeping an eye out for her.

So all four of my girls are at work today! Makes for just boys at home today!

No comments: