"My" Suburban has been, hands down, my most favorite vehicle ever. Vic bought it for me and brought it down to Homer to surprise me. Boy was I surprised! I still feel "aw shucks" tickled when I think of it. So there was a bit of an emotional attachment to Old Blue.
I take you back to the day before the election. The temps had been hovering right around freezing, so conditions were changeable and slick-in-a-minute. It came to be my turn to take the boy's basketball team to their game out in Wasilla at the AT&T Center. The boys: Isaac, Sam, Elijah, Josiah (Streff, not Temple), Tim and James were outnumbered 2-to-1, but played a great game (didn't lose by much!).
On the way home we took a vote, do we stop at "McCain-alds" or "TacObama"? McCain-alds won. Hands down. NO one wanted a taco that night!
I almost forgot and drove past the first boys turn off. Maybe that was a sign. But I caught myself, and the turn. Suffice it to say, it was a very poor night for tackling extremely steep mountain driveways with sheer cliffs on one side of them. Not only did it slide backwards and into a clump of trees large and solid enough to take out both the back and side windows, but on the way around the loop, also took out the whole other side. The hood was tweaked (couldn't be opened). About the only thing not damaged was the right rear door and the rear bumper.
Poor Josiah was devastated... it happened on his driveway. But, as I am the adult and made the stupid choice to go against my heart firmly saying don't do it... don't go up that driveway! But I was more worried about him walking up the slippery driveway in the dark.
It only took the trip to the gas station to see that the 'Burb was in ba-a-ad shape. I didn't bother to fill it... just enough to get home. Oddly, nearly the instant I would start to worry, I was stopped by the confidence of faith. "Glory be to God in All Things" filled my mind and my heart. It was as though I had to fight to be concerned, worried or afraid of what we are going to do next.
God knows our needs. He knows I have 9 children in my home and the needs for transportation that creates, especially with schooling and doctors and Josiah's autism therapy. The first couple of days Sarah Joy let me use her car. With Adelaina's birth that Thursday morning, Anthony was home with his girls on family leave, so he had me pick up his truck. It "just so happened" that when he went back to work, his unit was gone, so he'd be off work before Alisha and the baby woke up in the morning, so he didn't need his truck back. And then he finally got the date for his surgery (he was injured while in Iraq last year), and will be leaving in a couple days. So still, he doesn't need his truck. (But he does need someone to watch da Grandog Blue while they're gone :)
I don't know how God will resolve this; but as the lesson I had earlier this year about God owning the cattle of a thousand hills (and the pigs too!), and which I will write about in a later post, the only thing obvious is that we'll have to wait for it. For now my job is to get us through another day and work like it depends on me... and pray because it (really) all depends on Him.
I take you back to the day before the election. The temps had been hovering right around freezing, so conditions were changeable and slick-in-a-minute. It came to be my turn to take the boy's basketball team to their game out in Wasilla at the AT&T Center. The boys: Isaac, Sam, Elijah, Josiah (Streff, not Temple), Tim and James were outnumbered 2-to-1, but played a great game (didn't lose by much!).
On the way home we took a vote, do we stop at "McCain-alds" or "TacObama"? McCain-alds won. Hands down. NO one wanted a taco that night!
I almost forgot and drove past the first boys turn off. Maybe that was a sign. But I caught myself, and the turn. Suffice it to say, it was a very poor night for tackling extremely steep mountain driveways with sheer cliffs on one side of them. Not only did it slide backwards and into a clump of trees large and solid enough to take out both the back and side windows, but on the way around the loop, also took out the whole other side. The hood was tweaked (couldn't be opened). About the only thing not damaged was the right rear door and the rear bumper.
Poor Josiah was devastated... it happened on his driveway. But, as I am the adult and made the stupid choice to go against my heart firmly saying don't do it... don't go up that driveway! But I was more worried about him walking up the slippery driveway in the dark.
It only took the trip to the gas station to see that the 'Burb was in ba-a-ad shape. I didn't bother to fill it... just enough to get home. Oddly, nearly the instant I would start to worry, I was stopped by the confidence of faith. "Glory be to God in All Things" filled my mind and my heart. It was as though I had to fight to be concerned, worried or afraid of what we are going to do next.
God knows our needs. He knows I have 9 children in my home and the needs for transportation that creates, especially with schooling and doctors and Josiah's autism therapy. The first couple of days Sarah Joy let me use her car. With Adelaina's birth that Thursday morning, Anthony was home with his girls on family leave, so he had me pick up his truck. It "just so happened" that when he went back to work, his unit was gone, so he'd be off work before Alisha and the baby woke up in the morning, so he didn't need his truck back. And then he finally got the date for his surgery (he was injured while in Iraq last year), and will be leaving in a couple days. So still, he doesn't need his truck. (But he does need someone to watch da Grandog Blue while they're gone :)
I don't know how God will resolve this; but as the lesson I had earlier this year about God owning the cattle of a thousand hills (and the pigs too!), and which I will write about in a later post, the only thing obvious is that we'll have to wait for it. For now my job is to get us through another day and work like it depends on me... and pray because it (really) all depends on Him.
Bye-by faithful friend!



No comments:
Post a Comment