Sunday, December 21, 2008

Glory Hallelujah!

Uncle Isaiah holds Adelaina

Kissies for Adelaina from Mama Alisha

Alisha, Anthony & Adelaina, the beginnings of a new family

The puppies are ALL sold and to their new homes! Hmm, perhaps that's not really an appropriate use of "Glory" and "Hallelujah", but this little adventure into animal breeding was both challenging and interesting. This was not expected to be a big money making adventure... but I did expect to do a little better than we did. Our household and living expenses having jumped way beyond expectations, it's helped us to break even and get us through the mortgage and Christmas.

After the initial supply expenses, and the testing of the waters, as it were, Vic & I think we'll extend our experience in genetics and animal husbandry a couple-three years. This means we'll need to make some changes this coming summer to improve our facilities, such as adding a dog door from the whelping box so that their dam can teach them to utilize the outdoor facilities around 5 weeks. That will make everyone MUCH happier about both the puppy business and the puppies' business.

Until I am able to return to the regular work force, we just have to continue being creative around here. Raising kids in this economy of unrealistic expectations and limited sources is still easier than it was 20, 80 or 500 years ago. It's something like raising a solid business with low start up resources. We only have about 18 years for each one of these enterprises, and with 5 of 13 of these enterprises out the door, I can't say that I'm disappointed in any of them. My kids have all managed to survive me as their mom, and perhaps some have even thrived a little in the process.

So... since what I'm really doing here is procrastinating on all the work of pulling this house together for the holidays, I should probably wind it down now. Vic wants dinner. Well, actually, he asked if dinner was going to get made, and I told him, "No." Hah. This is how we really celebrate the longest night of the year - Winter Solstice. Our brains are dull, our motivation nearly non-existent, and "puttering" takes up nearly all of our strength. Or perhaps we're just resting up for the festiveness that will be required of us in 4 short days.

And I haven't made a single list.

Is it an experiment? I wonder. Can we actually, successfully get through a holiday season without a single list? My theory is "no possible way." So why don't I make a list? {looking around me...} because there is no possible way I would even know where I put it when done, or how to find it when I did. So why waste precious time making a list? Especially when I can use that time to blog about nothing ;)

Hey, it worked for Seinfeld. And it made him rich!

So, here is where I insert some pictures... because my kids are just SO photogenic :) (They must get that from their dad!)

Sam's 13th Birthday. The huge white box was a super fun gift, a party! Full of his favorite party foods and a movie, it was everything needed for a family evening of fun!

Hero Daddy putting carpet down in Veronica's "new" room. Slowly, but surely getting this old house shaped up. There's enough here to do to keep us busy working full time on it for a decade.



No comments: