Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A "Pageant Mom's" (not) Thoughts about Pageants

They are ALL my Princesses! (Veronica, Christina & Bianca)

Miss Bear Paw 2007

I am still mildly amused that I am so deeply into supporting my daughter Veronica in this endeavor. Starting out as the antithesis of the "Pageant Mom", I learned that my concept of pageants was largely wrong. The whole idea of pageants just screamed "VANITY!" to me. I've been figuring out that vanity is much easier to deal with when you face it head on, and these girls DO have to do that! Getting full of oneself doesn't fly in the pageant world my daughters have been involved in. No, I don't think I have met a more genuinely sweet (while still competetive!) group of teens and young women in my life. Girls that I want my daughter to be friends with.

Sure, there is the outward job of learning how to put oneself together. Hair is well-cared for (but overdone doesn't cut it!), and a nice, feminine cut. The girls learn how to select and care for their clothes for a variety of situations. They have to learn how to communicate with people of all ages, and to "be interested, not interesting." In other words, it's NOT all about them, it's about what they can do - and actually do - for others.

They have to be good students. They have to be involved with their community. They have to learn how to speak... and to watch their speech. Match all of these things with our Christian standards, enhanced by Scriptural guidelines - such as in Proverbs and the New Testament - and they develop into strong, moral and focused young women. Something they need to be now more than ever.


Being Crowned Miss Anchorage Outstanding Teen 2009

No comments: