I got the news yesterday from one of my (fave) cousins that an era had come to an end. The last of the Reynolds of my grandmother's generation had passed at the fulfilling age of 100. Great Aunt Jane. Her name alone elicits tender feelings and the joy of child at getting to see her again. I only have faded memories - like photographs - in my mind. I see her standing at a door to welcome us with a smile. I can hear the noisy chatter of exchanged greetings. I can feel the happy contentment and joy they all have in spending time together again. These people all really liked each other.
And they were likable! I remember the Reynolds as being well-mannered and polite, in a very Virginian kind of way. Politeness wasn't out of duty, but out of who they were as people. It was their privilege to be hospitable and to make others comfortable in their home. What an art.
My cousin Mathann shared her philosophy that Aunt Jane had now joined her husband, Uncle Joe, our grandmother Mimi, and my dad... and since Shumann the Baker has likely passed on too, they must all be sitting together enjoying that heavenly jellycake!
Great Aunt Jane's obituary is online. What a sweet one it is... I would love to get "the rest of the story" about this part of Aunt Jane's life: "Jane was the matriarchal head of her family and exemplified the meaning and strength of family and friends. For many years she opened her home to provide for elderly and orphaned relatives."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment