First off, Isaiah is amazingly FINE, as only he could be. We always thought him to be a TANK, and he has now proven it. His sensory disintegration disorder came to his rescue here, though he had a moment or two of going a little shocky.
Basic story is: Isaiah took his brother's bike without asking. If he'd asked, he might have learned that the brakes weren't working very well (or at all?). But ask he didn't and off he flew down the driveway and right out into the street to collide with an unsuspecting deacon who was just trying to make his way home.
In the house, the worker bees were getting dinner ready to put on the table, Vic was on the phone with his mom, and I was on the phone with Alex who was making a Mother's Day call. :D
I heard Mya out in the living room, opened the door to go see her and was met by Vic telling me he was taking Isaiah to the hospital.
Huh?!? One moment please, while I go into Calm-Mommy mode. With blood still running down his back, Isaiah was calm and quiet, waiting for cues in our behavior on how to act. Alex, still on my cell phone, reminds me to check his pupils for response. I'm asking for a flashlight and go for the other phone to call 911. Vic said he checked, with no response. I didn't realize until later the flashlight he used and why it wouldn't be a good one for testing.
I dialed '911'... forgot to hit 'send'... duh. Hit send. It's all a little surreal at the time... cordoning off the brain as things like... oh, what happened to Natalie Richardson last winter, start coming to mind. I put the dogs in my room, got my purse, glasses and jacket, while getting his insurance info together, handing the latter to Vic, expecting him to go with Isaiah. Obviously since I had also gotten ready, he expected me to go. My stress headache from earlier was now raging, so I went on autopilot... grabbing two bites of meat while passing through the kitchen... thinking Isaiah had to be hungry, too, but couldn't eat anything now. I got some books for Isaiah to take along.
The ambulance arrived in 5 minutes, and Isaiah started shaking, which got me anxious. He was overwhelmed by the number of people and our very full living room, his eyes darting among them. (Chugiak station is awesome with their response, I believe there were 7 Responders there.) The other kids were amazingly calm and quiet, standing back in the background. Vic had already spoken to the one leaning toward panic and how harmful the panic of others is to the state-of-mind of someone who is hurt.
The police officer arrived with his typical accusative tone, looking for something "wrong" and had Vic call the driver to come back to the house. We explained how none of it was his fault, but of a little boy who chose to break any number of rules. Very smoothly and quickly we were in the ambulance and off to the hospital.
Kyle Stangle (whom I remembered from St. John's school) was in the back taking care of Isaiah. I held the ice pack to the huge bump on Zaiah's head. Kyle's such a nice young man.
At the hospital, Isaiah was the perfect patient. He thought getting his shirt cut off was pretty cool. X-rays, CAT scan. Only serious road rash and bruising. His head was still bleeding 5 hours later, so they ended up gluing it. He only cried when they were checking his head.
Finally released after midnight. He had a hard time walking down the hall, and an attentive aide brought him an office chair and pushed him all the way to the car. Isaiah actually giggled.
Painkillers when we got home, and his sweet sister Christina set up the most AWESOME bed in the living room. He played with the Bionicles Brendan bought for him while he was at the hospital for awhile, then fell right to sleep.
This morning, after a little painkiller, he is up and moving like nothing happened. Nothing short of amazing. *I* feel like I was hit by a car... but he shows no evidence of it at all (sans the rash and hamburger spots on his head!)! Thank God!
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment