Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summertime, a Time for Healing

Well that was nice, while it lasted!

Summer came a tad early, and it was glorious and bright, and started knocking those record high temperatures around! And then August also came early with it's cloudy, cool and rainy days. It's been weeks of this now, a little too much like the whole of last summer where the spring rains seemed to meld into the autumn ones and we never really did get a summer.

But, ya know, it's not the weather that makes the summer... it's what you DO. (And I'll keep tellin' myself that.) So as I sit here with my glass of pineapple/orange/banana juice and forkful of peanut butter (because if I were to eat it with a spoon, it would be a sign of depression, and I'm not depressed (here's to you, Cindy! ;) let me consider the Summer of 2009.

The very best part, for me, at a very personal level, is that my health has been slowly improving. It seems almost unbelievable to me now just how sick and for how long I was. I don't know if it's just because I'm going into remission, or if it's really true, but I'm finally starting to accept that I AM one of "those people" who have a chronic illness. September 15th is the date set for what is expected to be the final test - or at least the defining test - with an expected diagnosis of Crohn's Disease. Maybe it's just the relief of finally having a designation for my misery. Of course, I don't think it explains all the issues, but I'm frankly so tired of it, or bored with it, or just plain fed up, that I don't really care at the moment. I feel better... and have a little peace from that.

So, while I am still having to be extremely careful with my diet, and I'm still very weak, there is a sense of joy that I'm getting better. Managing stress is HUGE. And to manage stress, I've learned, it's not about being mentally or emotionally strong. That I am at a reasonable - almost to an unreasonable - level. It's the vitamins, dummy (me)!!! I am horrible at absorbing vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Empty calories for me are STUPID (note to self: remember that!) Choking down the various vitamins and supplements are an absolutely necessary part of my life now, even if I'm choking by the time I reach the third one, and that's barely half way of one round, when I'm 'being good'.

Salmon oil is a miracle for anyone dealing with inflammatory 'stuff'. Beats an aspirin every time. The vitamin D (4,000 IU's) and calcium/magnesium & B-complex & extra B12, and taking it at the proper time. There is just so much to know about this stuff. But I'm still dealing with a mind that's like a steel sieve instead of that steel trap... but ya know, it's no worse than my teenagers' brains. And they're young and healthy!(?!?)

No comments: