Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Home (almost) Alone

Isaiah... "Mom, is this a real moose?"

The house is practically empty today, save for the two little boys, Isaiah John and Josiah, who have been revelling in having the house to themselves today. I think Zaiah has giggled nearly non-stop to not have to deal with the constant corrections of a "big kid" telling him to "be quiet" or "knock it off", etc. He and Josiah have been outside kicking and throwing a football around, and when they tired of that, Zaiah began doing chores. And that's when the delighted giggling really began!

He has taken out the trash, washed out the kitchen trash can, picked up the floor, and is now washing dishes. I love 9-year olds! Ha! I now hear Josiah in the kitchen instructing, "more soap!" Since there was just enough soap left for one load, I don't have to worry about them overdoing it.

Hmmm, after checking on them, they were just "rinsing" and stacking. Zaiah's other project for today is getting the walkie-talkies to work. So Vic is stopping by the store for AAA batteries... and trash bags. It amazes me how many of those we go through. It means we're buying a LOT to fill those with trash.

So, my job has been to keep the wood stove going and to work on updating my resume and checking out the job market. In praying about our own brush with the "Economic Downturn", out first thoughts always tend toward looking at my getting a paying job. I love working and getting a paycheck for it; so my brain is like a pup that's ready to go for a walk! Hopping, jumping, and all a-wag with excitement. My heart however, was a different story, especially after a few days of occasional prayer. My heart said to "wait"... "be patient"... and "don't take on anything new until after Lent." Of course I'm translating that into how many dollars we're going to be behind by then.

In spite of many years and opportunities to develop an ear, I still have a hard time having confidence in my discernment between the Holy Spirit and my personal will. It helps when that "answer" isn't the same as what my normal thinking patterns would have come up with. Wanna guess how many times that happens? Hmm, nope, can't think of even once. It may be similar, but usually my thinking is just not on the mark.

So, the only thing I really do know is that when I don't listen to "that" certain "voice" - to my heart-of-hearts - I always (and I mean always) mess up. I have also found that for those things that don't have immediate ramifications, that it's because they end up having long term ramifications instead. Sometimes for years. Isn't there a saying about "decisions made in haste can be regretted at leisure"? If not, there should be.

So... today as I'm getting ready to send my cover letter and resume for a job that looks just perfect for me with great pay (so what that there's lots of hours!), the internet gets very selective on which sites it will and won't go to. It won't open my mail. It stops letting me access the job site. I fought with it for 20 minutes until Vic called. "I thought you were going to wait?" he asks when I tell him of my frustrations.

Oh, yeah... that's right. I was. I will. I mean, I am. Ugh. A little prayer. Peace returns.
... for the moment.

Josiah drawing his planes

No comments: