Thursday, December 2, 2010

End the November Nightmare

November has been one HECK of a month. November 2nd found both hands hurting again. I battled it all last hitch. I thought taking a sauna after work would help and feel soooo nice. Could I have been more wrong? Only if I'd chosen to bathe with piranhas. Ibuprofen became my closest friend, and carrying my own bag to the airport was nearly impossible. For anyone whose worked the Slope, not being able to carry one's bag had better mean they're carrying you off.

Since coming home I remember little more than a lot of pain, and many fruitless attempts to get out from under it. After getting home Friday night, I think I made it to church Sunday out of pure stubbornness. It was another day or two before I left the house again.

By Monday, with Thanksgiving looming so near, and realizing there wasn't going to be a raising of this Lazarus on the horizon, and being unable to think clearly enough to know what doctor to call, I set myself on "auto prayer" mode, and by the next morning - 'ding!' - it came to me to make an appointment with Luba Coverdell. While I didn't know why not my regular doctor at the moment, I went with it, called, and got in to see her Wednesday.

Luba had it figured out in less than 10 minutes. My Crohn's is back, and tutored me on the tell-tale signs of the pain issues being relatively equal on both left and right sides. While it was wearing the sheepskin of arthritis this time, it still gave itself away in that manner. She gave me some great advice on taking Omega 3's and keeping up with my D, and to get in to see my Gastro-doc A.S.A.P. Fortunately, Dr. Peach's office did get me in as an urgent care on Monday.

This meant the holiday was met by a mom that couldn't even manage to lift the turkey. The girls were all great and stepped up. They set two BEAUTIFUL tables. This was the first time I did a full shop before Thanksgiving, and I realized I had never done my BIG PFD grocery shop this year... so we got it for Thanksgiving. What a deal.

No comments: