I'm already thinking about seeds. Even though I buy seeds every year, and haven't actually had a garden larger than 3' x 2' in years, or used all the seeds I have. I Hope. I have plans. And, frankly, in my life, if I don't shoot for the moon, I can't even get over the fence.
So I'm planning for a garden.
Now I can DREAM of having a "real" one. That would be one like Talitha's, that has been loved and tended for several decades in the lovely garden growing weather of Arkansas next door to the grandchildren that Talitha and I share. Actually, instead of "dreaming", I think I'll choose a word that describes what I really mean: "Aspire". While her hot weather crops aren't in my reality, the size and production level of said garden can be.
It struck me not long ago that I live on the same street with two gardeners that are Talitha's equals where it comes to gardening. They've been gardening in Alaska long enough to know what works, and how. They are well-springs of information. But, just as a well doesn't give up it's water unless you go to it and haul it up yourself; I'm not going to glean from their knowledge unless I mosey on over there and get it.
This leads me to thinking about why I don't mosey. Frankly, I hate leaving my house any more than I have to. It used to be because I had small children, and too many of them to take with me as I went visiting. Now I have big children, who are too many to leave alone in my house for extended periods of time. Sure, they'd argue that and remind me I let them stay when I go grocery shopping or to doctor's appointments. That only goes to remind me of why I just said what I said.
Even so, I'm ready to start living differently. I'm ready to have the first real garden I've had in 18 years. Whew... that means I have children who didn't grow up with a garden. That stinks. Given how well growing up without a garden has worked for certain children, that's all the more reason to put one in and get working it. One of my inspiring friends, Cindy, is the Gardener Extraordinare. I love reading her blog as she shares how gardening helps keep her sane. And her life makes mine look like a cakewalk. And seriously, if a mom with 39 kids can find time to garden AND do all the rest of the running around and taking care of kids FAR more needy than mine, then why can't I? Fine, she doesn't home school, so she actually gets 4-6 hours of uninterrupted time a day. I have to get that in the middle of the night... not a good time for gardening. But, big surprise, I digress.
Seeds. I'm looking to buy from Fedco this year. My friend Stephanie tells me that these folks grow their seeds in Maine, where the growing season and climate are reasonably similar to ours. I had a great time looking over their website for all the non-hybridized seed stock they have.
Of course, getting a garden is one of only two ways that my husband is going to be able to get me to part with the trees in our yard. ( I LIKE being in the woods!) Other than gardening, I'd like to have the space out there for the kids to play football, and perhaps have a spot to put the trampoline below ground. (Where a pit is dug and the surface is level with the ground... not as far to fall should they miss the netting on the sides.) And there is a third, now that I think about it. Landscaping a tad would be nice, including getting better storage areas. (Ugh, the shed really needs to be rebuilt.)
Yup, thinking about summer... in the midst of an Alaskan winter. I think that's how we get through these winters up here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment