Philosophizing aside - rested, dressed and adequately medicated - I made it, with Vic, Christina, Tori & Rachel, to Veronica's Miss Anchorage Outstanding Teen pageant. Veronica was first up, and we did miss the opening number, which we heard she was cute as a bug in. The theme "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" had the girls dressing in their favorite activity. Veronica's was karaoke, so she had black leggings, her ever present black patent pumps, and a somewhat late-80's style purple top with her hair all done up (also reminiscent of the late 80's)

My favorite part of the event is the talent. Veronica sang her self-composed song, "What Meets the Eye". Despite some serious sound system flaws, (basically no mics, feedback, and people scooting here and there trying to figure it out ;) she sang beautifully. The audience was doubly appreciative to get to hear it again. I know this because I love to watch the audience when she sings this song. It's so powerful, so beyond her years.

Next came the fitness portion, which I don't mind because they wear their regular fitness wear. This time Veronica wore her Irish Dance dress. She looked so cute, but I realized that she really, really needs her solo dress for this portion. She's overdue as it is, being that they're so expensive to have made, and I just don't have the sewing skills to even attempt it. See, I knew it... way back when I had just given birth to my first daughter and cried.... Concerned, the doctor inquired as to my tears... "I can't have a girl!!! I can't sew!!!"
Ha. they thought it ridiculous (And questioned the fact that I really hadn't had any drugs.) I knew my girls would have the need. Hmm, I can draw a house... they've just not had any need - or asked me when they have.
Sooo, musing along... then came the evening gown portion. Here is where Veronica's poise and grace shines. The good posture taught by her Irish Dancing really helps here. Mimi would be SO proud! It helps that her dress is beautiful, but it's the girl that makes the dress, and the dress is only to "show" the girl. At one point, Veronica turned, paused, and that smile crept gently across her face, and we saw every judge lower their head and write. Well done.
It's that turn of the head...Then came the onstage questions. Always a tad unnerving, Veronica knew her platform well, and was able to share it easily. ("Following Your Dreams: Building Confidence to Suceed") The next question was pulled out of the bowl. What is your favorite thing about Alaska?
The scenery, she stated. The incomparable scenery. Pretty good for the supporting position to Miss Anchorage... who goes to Japan on a promotional trip of Anchorage tourism. Good warm-up.

On to the finale!
For as decidedly a NON-pageant mom as I am, I've become a fan. I've seen my girls developing as young ladies through their pageants. I've seen them learn how to care for the other girls: encourage them, help them, support them. I've had both other moms and girls come to me and share how much difference my girls made for their daughters. If they didn't win a crown, but won Miss Congeniality, I'd see them as successful. It might not help their scholarship coffers, but it's helping them to become caring, well-rounded young women, and in the long run, that's even more important.
Bonnie, the Executive Director of the Alaska Miss America program, has shared how important building the "sisterhood" of the pageant is to her. In the past, I'd patronizingly chuckle about that; but I'm learning better. These really are relationships for a lifetime they're building. They are learning through experience that while image matters, especially as a first impression; but that there had better be a lot more to them than that, or they just won't go very far and they'll find little tolerance for that around them.




No comments:
Post a Comment